Monday, September 4, 2023

Begin Again: on a Wednesday in a Café

Begin again is one of my favorite songs from Taylor Swift's fourth album "RED." It tells the story of the beginning of a new relationship after being burned by the previous. It describes a cute little café, where the guy pulls out her chair, and gets there early. The music video is the most aesthetic video I have ever seen. It takes place in Paris. It shows Taylor biking down a cute little street, going through a tunnel and gracefully sitting under a tree. It truly shows that moment when two people just click and nothing else in life matters. 

I don't know if it is the senioritis kicking in or the long weekend, but I have not been motivated to get things done. Something that has always helped me when I've struggled to do work is to get out of my usual environment. My go to is a cute coffee shop. A local café that has plenty of seating and perfect lighting. A shop that is just the right combination of busy, yet quiet enough to do my homework. Honestly, it doesn't always work to get stuff done though, but it's an excuse to get out of the house. I often get distracted by people watching. In a perfect afternoon however, I would sit down and crank out some assignments. 
Latte Art

During these study sessions, I obviously must get a drink to be a productive member of society. Plus supporting local coffee shops is fun. I wouldn't say that I am a coffee snob or anything, but let's just say that working at Starbucks has enlightened me to some particularly odd, flavored coffees. My favorite thing on this planet is a honey cinnamon flat white. A flat white is kind of similar to a latte, but it uses a different kind of espresso shot. 
Pettibone

Pettibone coffee shop in Dayton, Ohio is one of my favorite places to visit when I am home. They have an open floorplan with tons of varieties of seating. They also put so much research into the coffee beans that they supply. The shop also has local artists come and paint in the shop which is so cool to watch!



Fancy Latte
Parlor Public House
The coolest café that I've ever been to is Parlor Public House in Indianapolis. I have only been once, but I've been meaning to go back! You walk in and there are plants everywhere! They offer oat milk as the default milk option! The coffee you order comes in mocktail glasses and just feels super fancy. It has the best study atmosphere. They have unique flavors for customers to try and lots of creative combinations. During the week they close at 5PM, but on the weekends the café turns into a bar and is open later. I haven't been during these hours because when I visited, I was only able to stay for a short trip, but I think that this is such a cute business concept. 
Winans

Anyways, that is what I did, and I am happy to say it was quite successful. I bought a seasonal latte from Winans, which is an Ohio coffee shop. They have like a bunch of locations in Ohio, but I am not sure if they've expanded into other states yet. I would consider them a semi-local business. I sat down and cranked out some assignments until I was out of coffee and then I left. 

5 comments:

Megan said...

Being from the greater Dayton area, all these coffee shops truly are fantastic. Pettibone is also one of my favorites!

Madeline Emerick said...

I'm also a sucker for coffee shops so I know how motivating it can be to sit down in a cute shop with a good cup of coffee. These shops are all so cute and I'll definitely check them out if I ever visit the area!

a said...

Loreilei, I have also become a coffee lover recently, as you know because you serve me it lol! But, I think that a coffee shop is a great way to wind down and focus on getting work down. Thank you for the recommendations! - Drew Butera

Carly Coia said...

OMG I love cute coffee shops like that! I still can't get over that you title all you blogs as Taylor Swift titles!! I love it!!

Isa Ramos said...

Oh my gosh! I love Pettibone! It's right down the road form my grandparents' house and my mom and I always stop there after visiting.

Bye Bye Baby

“Essentials of Social Media” was one of the better college level textbooks I have been forced to read in my life. I am not a huge fan of rea...