Wednesday, October 4, 2023

You're On Your Own Kid

 I’ll be the first to say that I don’t really understand X. I don’t use X. I did make an account in like 2018 to check on Taylor Swift fan accounts, but I have not been on the platform in a long time. It’s hard for me to believe that it’s one of the most popular social media sites. It made sense to me that more males are on the platform than females.  I honestly just don’t know how X works. I understand that people can post their thoughts and opinions on a page, but I don’t see the attraction to it. Reading through the chapter helps explain some factors about why people are drawn to the platform. I think that people like the platform because it connects them to a larger audience.

Football Meme

One thing I do know is that I see a lot of Taylor Swift related tweets, but on Instagram and TikTok. I’m going to go through some of my favorites as of recently. This first one is referencing the first football game that Taylor showed up to. The Chiefs were scoring way above the other team. The joke is that Travis was wanting to score more to impress Taylor.

This one is about Travis Kelce’s before game outfit. I didn’t realize that football players dress up fancy before their games, but they do. Travis Kelce showed up to the game in a blue and white patterned suit. It was the same aesthetic as Taylor’s album 1989. It is set to be re-released on October 27th! People speculated that Travis took inspiration from the album in reference to Taylor.

Meme
I found this one to be hilarious. At the Era’s Tour this summer fans traded friendship bracelets. This was in reference to Taylor’s song, You’re On Your Own Kid (YOYOK). “Make the friendship bracelets, take the moment and taste it, you’ve got no reason to be afraid.” Fans made hundreds of bracelets to bring to Taylor’s concerts and traded with other fans. Travis attended one of Taylor’s concerts over the summer and wanted to trade a bracelet with her that had his phone number on it. It did not happen, but he did get a chance in the end.

Friendship Bracelet
The song, YOYOK, is at its core about Taylor and her rise to fame. She tells us about young love and the yearning that comes with it. The song goes on to tell us about how Taylor turns to writing and how it became her everything. In the end, she is by herself and always has been. The song became an anthem for the Era’s Tour this summer. I know I personally made over 200 bracelets. It was something special.




2 comments:

Carly Coia said...

I love this post! Did you see that after all the pictures went out of Travis Kelce's outfit, the company changed the name of the set the "1989 Set"?

Isa Ramos said...

Oh my gosh! Literally all of my instagram feed is Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce stuff right now, I'm so invested.

Bye Bye Baby

“Essentials of Social Media” was one of the better college level textbooks I have been forced to read in my life. I am not a huge fan of rea...